Re: ld-Script needed OR (predicted) Architecture of Kernel 3.0 ;-)

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 07:32:39 EST

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-1] Hartmut Zybell wrote:

> First things first: Please CC me, because I'm not
> subscribed.
>
> I need a ld-Script to construct an elf-File that is a
> tar-File too. Can
> anyone help me? Especially the Checksum is tricky.

[SNIPPED....]

I don't think you are aware that the kernel is compressed,
then expanded when installed. It therefore has all the good
attributes of a `tar.gz` file without any of the bad ones.

Also, we have a module loader and unloader that allows modules
to be inserted and removed from a running system. There are
even experimental systems that allow the whole kernel to be
changed without (apparent) re-booting.

A file with a 'tar' header is useful for recovering a
directory tree, intact, as it was initially backed-up.
It has no usefulness in the kernel where the content
of a file (or files) are located into various offsets
in RAM. This is done by the linker and 'helper code'
within the kernel itself.

You can readily run an install-system without any
runtime libraries and/or you can use temporary ones.
This is currently done for every major distribution.

The runtime libraries are not used by the kernel.
Instead they are used by user-mode code.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).