Re: mem=16MB laptop testing

From: John Bradford
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 06:01:08 EST

> (g) X isn't terribly swift; it's slower than I remember old Sun IPC's
> being, though they had 24MB RAM. OTOH luserspace is much more
> bloated these days. zsh alone is at least 3 times the size of
> ksh, which I used back then. fvwm2 is a lot bigger than fvwm1.
> And so on and so forth. I guess the upshot is "unbloating" the
> kernel wouldn't do much good anyway, since luserspace isn't in
> any kind of shape to run in this kind of environment anymore either.

Depends on what you consider usable. I thought X worked pretty well
in swapless 8MB last time I tried it, (last year, around 2.5.40).
Admittedly that was only running a few xterms locally. A 4MB + 20MB
swap box was suprisingly usable for fairly intense remote applications
over a compressed 9600 bps serial link.

John.