Re: Why are bad disk sectors numbered strangely, and what happensto them?

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 05:32:46 EST

Rogier Wolff wrote:

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 01:57:42PM +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:

Rogier Wolff wrote:

Of course, I left my drive that indicated it had problems (i.e. it
didn't spot the sector going bad before it became unreadable), in the
machine for another two days. It's getting replaced ASAP (i.e. the
next hour or so).

replacing the drive is reasonable caution. I think though that the other poster is right that IFF you want to remap bad blocks, the drive should do it not reiserfs.

It is a "pretty much for free" feature. In your in-kernel
implementation you hopefully already have the ability to skip blocks
in use by other files. So allocating it to a special file will take
care of the kernel part. Next you need one line in your fsck to
prevent that "dangling inode" getting linked into lost+found. Then you
do need a utility to actually be able to mark blocks as bad.

Roger.

We DO have it. It is present in Reiser4, and there is a patch around somewhere for V3 that I would be happy to have someone merge into the latest V3 code and test (we are too focused on shipping V4 to do it ourselves right now).

I agree that the FS should be able to do it, but I also think that the drive doing it is best.

--
Hans