Re: ReiserFS patch for updating ctimes of renamed files

From: Anton Ertl
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 02:13:49 EST

Hans Reiser:
>Andrew Morton wrote:
>>Yes, John has a point but we're not going to go and change all the other
>>filesystems (are we?).
>>
>why not? It is correct therefor....

Many years ago we had the same problem with ext2: it did not change
ctime on rename, so GNU tar did not pick up the renamed files on
incremental backup. Fortunately a few kernel versions later ext2
changed to the current behaviour (unfortunately I don't remember the
kernel version).

IIRC our sysadmin submitted a bug report for GNU tar at the time, and
got the answer that GNU tar would not change.

- anton
anton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Most things have to be believed to be seen