Re: Why are bad disk sectors numbered strangely, and what happens to them?

From: Rogier Wolff
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 01:55:52 EST

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:30:19PM +0900, Norman Diamond wrote:
> > How are you going to make sure you write it in the same location as it was
> > before?
>
> Mostly it doesn't matter. The primary purpose of this bit of it is to
> recreate the file to contain good data, which is why I would try to recreate
> it from a source of good data. The secondary purpose is:

Note that I strongly recommend not putting any important data on
a drive that has shown to have defective sectors(*). You never know when
the next sector is going to go.

We're replacing a drive that has remapped 13 sectors or something like
that, and it's now given us the first IO errors, so it's going towards
the bin.

Roger.

(*) If you're sure that something external which can be prevented in the
future caused the bad sectors, then fine. But if a drive is developing
bad sectors all by itself, the future might bring remapped sectors until
the slack remap space runs out, or one day a sector containing important
data goes bad....

--
** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**** "Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!" ****