Re: Reproducable time problem with SMARTD & XNTPD

From: Nohez
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 00:53:25 EST

I removed the 2 SATA disks from /etc/smartd.conf and found that the server
time remains in sync. The moment I add any one SATA disk the time starts
to go out of sync.

So looks like SMARTD + SATA combo is causing the system time to go out
of sync.

I am also trying to relate this problem with a similar problem that
we are facing on four HP Netserver LH6000. System Time behaves
erratically. We noticed that all time related apps (sendmail,
ping, top, cron etc) stop. We noticed that time goes forward &
backward in seconds only. These servers do not have any IDE
disks and does not have SMARTD running. Detailed thread at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=104393747300002&r=1&w=2&n=6

All servers are running a SMP kernel and are facing a system time problem.

Nohez