Re: ReiserFS patch for updating ctimes of renamed files

From: jw schultz
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 02:19:03 EST

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 01:05:19AM -0500, Alex Adriaanse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into some trouble trying to do incremental backups with GNU tar
> (using --listed-incremental) where renaming a file in between backups would
> cause the file to disappear upon restoration. When investigating the issue
> I discovered that this doesn't happen on ext2, ext3, and tmpfs filesystems
> but only on ReiserFS filesystems. I also noticed that for example ext3
> updates the affected file's ctime upon rename whereas ReiserFS doesn't, so
> I'm thinking this causes tar to believe that the file existed before the
> first backup was taking under the new name, and as a result it doesn't back
> it up during the second backup. So I believe ReiserFS needs to update
> ctimes for renamed files in order for incremental GNU tar backups to work
> reliably.
>
> I made some changes to the reiserfs_rename function that I *think* should
> fix the problem. However, I don't know much about ReiserFS's internals, and
> I haven't been able to test them out to see if things work now since I can't
> afford to deal with potential FS corruption with my current Linux box.
>
> I included a patch below against the 2.4.22 kernel with my changes. Would
> somebody mind taking a look at this to see if I did things right here (and
> perhaps wouldn't mind testing it out either)? If it works then I (and I'm
> sure others who've experienced the same problem) would like to see the
> changes applied to the next 2.4.x (and 2.6.x?) release.

Hmm. I'm conflicted.

rename(2) manpage:
Any other hard links to the file (as created using
link(2)) are unaffected.

A change to ctime would affect the other links.

stat(2) manpage:
The field st_ctime is changed by writing or by
setting inode information (i.e., owner, group, link
count, mode, etc.).

I am not aware of any field in the inode structure that must
be changed by an atomic rename. Per documentation the only
reason rename should update st_ctime is if it does a
link+unlink sequence which would alter st_nlink briefly.

On the other hand it does seem to me there ought to be some
record that something about the inode changed. st_ctime would
be the only appropriate indicator.

rename() SUSv3:
Some implementations mark for update the st_ctime
field of renamed files and some do not. Applications
which make use of the st_ctime field may behave
differently with respect to renamed files unless
they are designed to allow for either behavior.

So reiserfs is on this point definitely standards conformant
already. A change could at best be seen as an enhancement.