Re: 2.7 thoughts: common well-architected object model

From: asdfd esadd
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 13:35:19 EST

There is a connex, fork() might be a bad example,

it's simple - yes but 20 years have passed as Solaris
is finding:

pid_t fork(void); vs.

the next step in the evolution CreateProcess

BOOL CreateProcess(
LPCTSTR lpApplicationName,
LPTSTR lpCommandLine,
LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpProcessAttributes,
LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpThreadAttributes,
BOOL bInheritHandles,
DWORD dwCreationFlags,
LPVOID lpEnvironment,
LPCTSTR lpCurrentDirectory,
LPSTARTUPINFO lpStartupInfo,
LPPROCESS_INFORMATION lpProcessInformation

evolved to .Net Process Class

System.Object
System.MarshalByRefObject
System.ComponentModel.Component
System.Diagnostics.Process
[C#]
public class Process : Component
[C++]
public __gc class Process : public Component

with a full list of members mapping to the overall
model per se (link to hell, but they've got a point)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfsystemdiagnosticsprocessmemberstopic.asp

So let me restate the need again for a:

* unified well architected core component model
which is extensible from OS services to application
objects

* the object model should be defined from the kernel
layer for process/events/devices etc. up and not
started at the application layer