Re: statfs() / statvfs() syscall ballsup...

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 10:01:45 EST

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Joel Becker wrote:

> User space has to know about frsize for O_DIRECT alignment.

Have you ever noticed that O_DIRECT is a piece of crap?

The interface is fundamentally flawed, it has nasty security issues, it
lacks any kind of sane synchronization, and it exposes stuff that
shouldn't be exposed to user space.

I hope disk-based databases die off quickly. Yeah, I see where you are
working, but where I'm coming from, I see all the _crap_ that Oracle tries
to push down to the kernel, and most of the time I go "huh - that's a
f**king bad design".

Linus