Re: Linksys/Cisco GPL Violations

From: Florian Schirmer
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 08:27:44 EST

Hi,

> I just built the kernel for the WAP54G (wap54g.1.08.tar.gz) and it seems
> to contain only object code for the wireless driver.
>
> In which version did you find the source?

The ethernet and wireless driver where never linked into the kernel. So it
should be okay if they only distribute the module. They decided to provide
object code. Which is far better than a linked the module. I'm aware of the
current discussion wether binary modules are legal or not. The main Linksys
case was about the GPL violation by linking stuff into the kernel. _That_ is
resolved now. The wireless driver is a completely different story. IMHO.

Regards,
Florian