8139_tx_interrupt - Tx time

From: Adam Flizikowski
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 07:54:35 EST

Hi,

I am trying to find out how long it takes to push packet off the NIC in
8139_tx_interrupt(){} (kernel 2.4.20)

but i don't know how to identify packet in this loop - i know that "entry"
stands for the packet but in the loop underneath:
/* code snippet for 8139_tx_interrupt(){}*/

1726 while (tx_left > 0) {
1727 int entry = dirty_tx % NUM_TX_DESC;
1728 int txstatus;

1762
1763 dirty_tx++;
1764 tx_left--; // <- is single packet sent just
here??????
1765 }

what "tx_left" and "dirty_tx" variables stand for? Is single iteration
through the loop (lines 1726-1765) related to SINGLE packet transmission?

I wanted to put some probes inside tx_interrupt but not sure where it should
start/stop measuring to show single packet transmission time.

regards

adam