Re: Kernel includefile bug not fixed after a year :-(

From: Sandy Harris
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 01:34:43 EST

David S. Miller wrote:

... when did the kernel/user interface break, and how?

I'll answer for him, about 20 or 30 times during IPSEC development.

Natural enough.

But that's not the important issue, the important issue is that
a huge number of kernel API interfaces have no equivalent in
whatever you consider to be "user usable non-kernel headers".

Find me the API defines for the IPSEC configuration socket interfaces
in a header file that you think users should be allowed to include.

You won't find it Jens,

That is, you and the other IPsec developers did not create it.
I wonder why not.

From my rather naive perspective, I would think providing header
files for whatever interface you provide is part of the job. Of
course they'd have to be user-includable and documented at least
in man pages.

I suspect I am missing something here. What?

and that's why it drives me nuts when people
spit out the "no kernel headers" mantra. Often it simply must be
done as a matter of practicality.