Re: [RFC] disable_irq()/enable_irq() semantics and ide-probe.c

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 11:12:14 EST

Linus wrote:

Nobody has ever really complained, but if anybody ever wants to do this, then the way to do it would be to

- find out the irq
- disable it
- request the irq
- enable the PCI routing for it
- set up the device
- enable the irq

I'd like to use that for nic shutdown for natsemi:

disable_irq();
shutdown_nic();
free_irq();
enable_irq();

The irq handler touches registers that restart the nic. Right now I use a np->hands_off variable to avoid that.

But I don't know if all systems can support atomic request_irq/free_irq calls. request_irq creates /proc/irq/x/cpu_affinity, and I could imagine that on some archs it might have perform IPIs to reconfigure the irq controller of a remote node.

--
Manfred