Runtime joystick detection & snd-ens1371

From: Guillaume Chazarain
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 07:16:45 EST

Hello,

I have an Ensoniq ES1371 with a joystick port, so the
joystick driver depends on the snd-ens1371 (I use alsa)
module to be loaded.

With this line in /etc/modprobe.conf, I can use the joystick
as soon as the sound module is loaded.

install snd-ens1371 /sbin/modprobe -i snd-ens1371; \
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore; \
/sbin/modprobe -iq joydev; \
/sbin/modprobe -iq analog

But I'd like to be able to use the joystick without manually
in /etc/modules.conf with XX being js0 major number. Unfortunately,
with 2.6 if I cat /dev/js0 without the sound module loaded, it does
not find the joystick but does not try to load any module on which I could hook.

Also, between 2.6.0-test5 and 2.6.0-test6 my joystick stopped
working properly. When cat'ting /dev/js0 I still can get some output
when I play with the joystick but xmms using
ioctl(joy_fd, JSIOCGBUTTONS, &joy_buttons);
sees 0 buttons for my joysticks which has 4.

Not sure if it helps, but my not so trained eyes see much more output
with 2.6.0-test6 than 2.6.0-test5 with cat /dev/js0 and me playing with
the joystick.

Thanks for any help.
Guillaume.