Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test

From: Torrey Hoffman
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 18:24:54 EST

My experience:

I'm running 2.6.0-test6 on a dual pentium 3 with software raid-5 across
5 disks on two different IDE hardware controllers (VIA and Promise).
I've got a 224 GB reiserfs partition on that.

After 8 days uptime, it doesn't seem to have blown up yet. However I
don't stress it heavily - just a nightly rsync or two which does a lot
of reading and writing, and I export my music collection on it via NFS,
which is a low level of read activity.

I mirror the RAID to an external firewire drive nightly for backup,
since I don't trust it 100% either, yet.

I'd also be interested to know if there are known problems with software
RAID5 in 2.6.

Hope that helps,

Torrey Hoffman
thoffman@xxxxxxxxx