2.6.0-test6, psmouse.c, lost synchronization

From: Christopher Swingley
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 13:08:10 EST

Greetings!

I recently got a new laptop (Intel Brookdale Chipset, Pentium 4) and I'm
having trouble with the mouse.

* Short version: the kernel sees the Synaptics touchpad, but X doesn't
(using the 0.11.7 userspace synaptics X module). X (without the
synaptics module) understands the touchpad and my external PS/2
trackball, but I periodically get very erratic behavior from the
external mouse and synchronization errors from psmouse.c.

I don't care about the touchpad, but would like my external PS/2 mouse
to work properly in X.

* Long version: It has a touchpad, which the kernel reports on bootup
as:

Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
Firmware: 4.6 \ 180 degree mounted touchpad \ Sensor: 18
new absolute packet format \ Touchpad has extended capability bits
-> four buttons \ -> multifinger detection \ -> palm detection
input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio4

I installed the latest synaptics driver (0.11.7) and configured XF864.1
according to the INSTALL file. X reports:

(II) xfree driver for the synaptics touchpad 0.11.7
Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
(EE) no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
(EE) Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware

But I also have a PS/2 mouse config in my XF86Config-4, and it loads
this pointer.

In X, the touchpad appears to work just fine, but the PS/2 mouse I have
plugged into the PS/2 port occasionally behaves erratically, and causes
kernel messages like this:

kernel: psmouse.c: Mouse at isa0060/serio3/input0 lost
synchronization, throwing 2 bytes away

I don't really care too much about the touchpad because I always use an
external PS/2 trackball anyway, but I would like it to work.

Config / more detail available on request.

Thanks!

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley email: cswingle@xxxxxxxxxxxx
IARC -- Frontier Program Please use encryption. GPG key at: