Re: vaio doesn't poweroff with 2.4.22 (fwd)

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 03:18:07 EST

On 7 Oct 2003, Len Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 05:18, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On 2 Oct 2003, Len Brown wrote:
> > > Is this still a problem w/ the latest build?
> >
> > Yes (see below).
> >
> > > Is there a bugzilla entry for it?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > Attached you can find my .config, and dmesg output, without and with
> > acpi=force.
> >
> > Without acpi=force:
> >
> > - `halt' doesn't halt (still running)
> >
> > - `reboot' doesn't work, and pseudo-halts the machine (black screen, but
> > power LED still lit)
>
> The dmesg you attached says this:
>
> < ACPI disabled because your bios is from 00 and too old
> < You can enable it with acpi=force
> < ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
>
> So I'd expect the CONFIG_ACPI !CONFIG_APM kernel to fail to poweroff the
> system.
>
> > With acpi=force,
> >
> > - `halt' works fine
> >
> > - `reboot' doesn't work, and pseudo-halts the machine (black screen, but
> > power LED still lit)
> > In 2.4.21, both `halt' and `reboot' work fine.
>
> Did you configure with ACPI in 2.4.21?

Yes. It worked fine for halt/reboot up to and including 2.4.21.

> If you configured with APM in 2.4.21, you might consider sticking with
> it rather than switching to ACPI in 2.4.22.

I tried APM in 2.4.23-pre6, and it can halt the machine, but not reboot it.
Now I remember, because APM had problems with reboot or halt, I switched to
ACPI in the first place, when I got the machine 2.5 years ago.

`apm -s' does work now, though (which came as a surprise, since it didn't work
the first time I tried it a long time ago).

> Also, if there is a BIOS update available for this system you should
> consider it.

I went to the website Stan mentioned, and it doesn't seem to list the European
models. Since the Z600 series is called Z505 in US/JP, it may work with one of
the Z505 updates, though. However, I saw updates for W2000/XP only, not for the
BIOS.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds