calling devinet_ioctl from a kernel module

From: Vishwas Raman
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 15:36:46 EST

Hello all,

I'm experiencing a kernel panic in RedHat Linux 8.0 with 2.4.20 kernel when calling the function devinet_ioctl() with the SIOCSIFADDR command from within a kernel module. The function is called within the scope of
userspace addressing in the following manner.

int res;
mm_segment_t oldfs = get_fs();
set_fs(get_ds());
res = devinet_ioctl(cmd,arg);
set_fs(oldfs);

This is how ipconfig.c illustrates how to use this function from within a kernel module, see ic_dev_ioctl() function in the source file.

When running in the scope of a kgdb patched kernel, I see the kernel panic when this function is called from within my kernel module. The panic happens because alloc_skb is being called non-atomically from an interrupt.

Is there anything grossly wrong that I am doing? Am I supposed to do something else before calling this function?

Thanks,
Vishwas.