Re: Kernel includefile bug not fixed after a year :-(

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 11:12:11 EST

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 05:23:37AM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:

> Suggest changes to fix the problems, but just saying "don't include
> kernel header in your user apps, NYAH NYAH NYAH!" does not help
> anyone at all.

I really liked the proposal that Matthew Wilcox came up with:

Todays hirachi:
include/linux => Kernel wide internal
include/sub-system => sub-system internal
include/asm-$(ARCH) => arch specific
include/asm => symlink to include/asm-$(ARCH)
include/asm-generic => default arch implementations

Additional hirachy:
usr/include/linux-abi => kernel wide ABI
usr/include/abi-$(ARCH) => arch specifics ABI
usr/include/arch-abi => symlink to above

I've lost the original email, so the names differ, but the
principle is the same.

Then we could slowly migrate the user level stuff to usr/include.
Do you see this as a sensible solution also for ipv6?

Sam