Re: your mail

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 09:07:45 EST

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 09:17:16AM +0100, John Bradford wrote:
> > Of course a kernel compiled strictly for 386s may seem to boot on an
> > Athlon but not work properly. So what? Just don't run the 'wrong'
> > kernel.
>
> Wrong answer. How do you intend to install Linux when a distro boot
> kernel is compiled for lowest-common-denominator (386), and is the
> 'wrong' kernel for an Athlon ?

I'm not sure what the fuss is; a strict 386 kernel runs just fine
without any problems on an Athlon. But anyway...

Dave, you are conflating "kernel compiled strictly for 386s" with
"compiled for lowest-common-denominator".

They are totally different configurations. Isn't that why we have
"generic" now?

The latter is for distro boots. The former is for that
386-as-a-firewall with 1MB of RAM, where it _really_ has to trim
everything it can, and no errata thank you.

I've not heard of anyone actually wanting a strict 386 kernel lately,
but strict 486 is not so unusual.

Just as some people want a P4 optimised kernel, and some people want a
K7 optimised kernel, so some people want a 386 or 486 or Pentium
optimised kernel. Lowest-common-denominator means it runs on
everything, and isn't really anything to do with 386 any more - that's
not really the lowest-common-denominator, by virtue of the obvious
fact that pure 386 code isn't reliable on all other CPUs.

> We hashed this argument out a week or so ago, it seems the message
> didn't get across. YOU CAN NOT DISABLE ERRATA WORKAROUNDS IN A KERNEL
> THAT MAY POSSIBLY BOOT ON HARDWARE THAT WORKAROUND IS FOR.

I agree. It shouln't be possible to boot on the wrong hardware: it
should refuse.

There is precedent: X86_GOOD_APIC && X86_LOCAL_APIC: when booted on a
non-MMX P5, it refuses to boot, because it does not contain the errata
workaround.

Unfortunately the kernel has opposite precedents too.

By selecting a PII kernel, it is possible to configure out the code
for X86_PPRO_FENCE and X86_F00F_BUG, yet as far as I can tell, those
_can_ possibly boot on kernels where the errata are needed, and nary a
printk is emitted for it. Nasty bugs they are, too.

More generally than the CPU, you can also configure out BLK_DEV_RZ1000
which is another crucial workaround that needs to go in any
lowest-common-denominator kernel. Basically, if you're building a
distro boot kernel, you must turn on all known workarounds. That's
certainly lowest-common-denominator, but it's a far cry from the
configuration that a 386-as-firewall user wants.

> clearer?

If the kernel had a consistent policy so far, it would be more clear,
but it doesn't.

-- Jamie