Re: Re[2]: PROBLEM: ALSA requests module to early, before / is mounted

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 06:05:18 EST

At Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:14:09 +0200,
Nikola Knezevic wrote:

> >> But I build one. modprobe snd-emu10k1 loads it.
>
> TI> did you put this module into initrd?
> TI> otherwise there is NO way to load the MODULE at that time (before
> TI> mounting the root).
>
> No I haven't. How can I do that?

RTFM :)
you can find it in Documentation directory.
if you're using mkinitrd, it's even easier.

> >> But for the time being, it isn't...
> TI> right. but it's harmless anyway. just annoying.
>
> Yes, really annoying.

i thought you're annoyed by the message "no soundcards found".
it cannot be solved until you build the emu10k1 into kernel.

> >> Did that long time ago, problem remains. Also, I'm using devfs.
> TI> perhaps that's the problem.
>
> I can't see why it should be. If I type:
> modprobe snd-card-0
> it works OK.
> There are some issues about devfs using old modprobe format, and new
> kernel requires module-init-tools 0.9.xx, which have a lighter
> modprobe.conf. As it seems to me, problem is about calling modules
> before / is mounted.

no.

> And I haven't put it in initrd, so it can't be
> loaded. I suppose that call couldn't be done sometime later?

of course, the module could be requested later.
the ALSA core routine calls request_module("snd-card-0"), if the
entry is not present.

basically, you can safely ignore the message "no soundcards found"
at the boot time, because it shows only the built-in drivers.
the modules can be loaded dynamically if you set up the configuration
correctly.

i've never used devfs by myself, so i cannot tell exactly whether it's
a devfs problem. but the fact that you can load snd-card-0 module
manually implies that the problem lies on auto-loading mechanism.

--
Takashi Iwai <tiwai dot suse.de> ALSA Developer - www.alsa-project.org