Can't X be elemenated?

From: kartikey bhatt
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 09:46:34 EST

Hi Linus.

I read your reply to a person worried about the future of linux. It was a
satisfactory reply; I hope to get a satisfactory reply for this one also.

Can't X be elemenated?

I mean to say kernel level support for graphics device drivers and special
routines for accessing it directly; rest will be done by user space widget
libraries (or say a kernel space light widget library which can be customized
by user space libraries).

Why am I asking this?

1st. X is bloat. Though it's good for server environments. For desktop pcs
it's too heavy. On my machine (PIII500 with 128MB RAM) I have to choose from
either to run X or compile 2.6.0-test6.

2nd. It's process based client/server architecture is a bottleneck. It's not
as interactive as is supposed to be.

3rd. Most important. I can't impress or convince my window(crash)(TM) user
friends, relatives (who saw X running on my pc) to use Linux.

4th. I want to see desktop being ruled by Linux.

"Present" is in our hands; we are ruling servers.
You said "Linux, world domination fast".
If my wish is fulfilled, I am sure, one day, You (Mr. Linus) and I will
be saying "Linux, world domination completed".

-Kartikey Mahendra Bhatt.

(Sorry for raising this question during feature freeze. But the
consequences in last few days have forced me to ask this question.)