Re: 2.6.0-test6-mm1

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 04:59:53 EST

Hi,

I am trying it out on a RH9. It compiled and seems
to run nicely.

However, there is a problem that annoys me enough now to report.
This is a problem for some time now, it is not a new one.
But it seems to be a problem outside the kernel, read on.

Have you tried to run "make menuconfig" on a 2.6.0testX
in a gnome-terminal?

It gets stuck, not always, but very often. The exact problem
is that on a menu draw (e.g. on entering a submenu or going
one level up) the gnome-terminal window is cleared (everything
is repainted with the background color) but the newly selected
menu does not appear.

gnome-terminal starts (or tries to start) eating 100% CPU,
starting another terminal window succeeds and runnig pstree in
it shows this (I left the pids out):

|-gnome-terminal---bash---pstree
| |-bash---make---make---mconf---lxdialog
| |-gnome-pty-helper

Running kernel[-smp]-2.4.20-20.9 it does not happen.
Closing the stuck window, the CPU usage drops.

"LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 make menuconfig" produces the same
result.

I am cc-ing Havoc Pennington (I found his address in
gnome-terminal's About dialog), he may know where to fix or
he can confirm that a newer gnome-terminal is already fixed.
Using "make menuconfig" in a plain or color xterm, in Konsole
or in the console, the problem does not occur.

--
Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi