Re: [2.6 patch] select for drivers/media

From: Michael Hunold
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 16:04:51 EST

Hello Adrian,

The patch below switches drivers/mtd to use select where appropriate.

Ok.

Could someone with a knowledge of the code please check the following:

DVB_AV7110 and DVB_BUDGET select VIDEO_SAA7146 (without my patch VIDEO_SAA7146 depends on them) although they don't fulfill the VIDEO_SAA7146 dependencies VIDEO_DEV && PCI && I2C.

I admit that this is somewhat broken and might fail under certain cirumstances. It's possible that someone sets DVB_AV7110, but does not have I2C enabled. Then VIDEO_SAA7146 is not build, although it should. Doh!

Does your patch fix this issue as well?

Is the intention to enable VIDEO_SAA7146 only when these options are enabled or should DVB_AV7110 and DVB_BUDGET depend on these options?

Both DVB_AV7110 and DVB_BUDGET need VIDEO_SAA7146 to work properly. Same goes for the analog video drivers VIDEO_MXB, VIDEO_DPC and the other saa7146 drivers.

It's somewhat annoying that you have to enable I2C before all these drivers can be build. The user needs to know that I2C is used somewhere in the driver, although he won't see anything -- all i2c drivers are compiled automatically, a "modprobe mxb" loads all i2c drivers it needs.

It would be better, if I2C would be enabled automatically if SAA7146 is set. I admit that this sort of reversed-selection can introduce new problems.

What do you think?

cu
Adrian

CU