Re: [OT] No Swap. Re: [BUG 2.6.90-test5] kernel shits itself with48mb ram under moderate load

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 12:57:00 EST

Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
Yes, it should. If you have 0.25GB, it can be copied into cache. If you
have 0.125GB, it doesn't fit there.

So you want to say to effectively copy (or whatever) 40GB harddrive I
have to have 40GB of RAM? Ridiculous.
Especially if copying is done in 4k lumps. (cp's default buffer)
<sarcasm flavour=sad> Hopefully not everyone shares your opinion. </sarcasm>

If I am correct , I beleive he is speaking of the amount of
MEMORY needed to cache the copy of file data WITHOUT a swap
partit. or file .

Probably I have misunderstood.
Can you once again explain it to me - slowly.

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.