Re: [BUG?] SIS IDE DMA errors

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 12:56:00 EST

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 07:27:35PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Actually, it's me who wrote the 961 and 963 support. It works fine for
> > most people. Did you check you cabling?
>
> I'm dealing with a laptop, but I suppose I could wiggle the cables a
> bit. I still doubt it's a cable problem, since reading works
> flawlessly.

Hmm, that's indeed interesting and it'd point to a driver problem -
when reading, the drive is dictating the timing, but when writing, it's
the controllers turn.

So if the controller timing is not correctly programmed, reads function,
but writes don't.

Can you send me the output of 'lspci -vvxxx' of the IDE device?
I'll take a look to see if it looks correct.

> It appears to me that during heavy IO load, some DMA interrupts get
> lost, for some reason.

Well, I've got this feeling that not just IDE interrupts get lost under
heavy IO load with recent kernels ...

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR