Re: Syscall security

From: Maciej Zenczykowski
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 11:19:47 EST

> I beieve that what you're trying to do is a little bit more complicated
> then simply blocking a few system calls. There are security softwares
> doing this but they do more then blindly blocking system calls. Parameters
> of the system call do matter in this scenario. For example you don't want
> to block every write(), since the application you're trying to control
> must be able to write on its own installation dir for example. They do

Actually in this case all disk-access (and net-access) is illegal, and
we're running in an empty chroot environment anyway. :) We're not really
running aps - they're more along the lines of CPU calculation pipes - data
in -> calc in system memory -> data out.

> this by running the given application and "learning" system calls and
> params to create a per-application policy. Every behaviour that violates
> the policy trigger an event to the user running it (with a
> "human readable" description of what is happening) and the user can either
> accept it (by trainig the policy) or reject it.

I'm afraid this has to run without user-intervention and the policy is
trivial - allow mem-management (brk/mmap...) + exit + read stdin + write
stdout.

Thx,
MaZe.