Re: [BUG?] SIS IDE DMA errors

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 09:29:46 EST

Michael Frank <mhf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Suspect chipset related issue which should be looked into.

That's what someone told me three months ago, too. Nothing happened,
though.

> You could try setting udma mode with hdparm -Xudma[12345] and see
> if it helps.

That's the first thing I try when things go wrong. It didn't help
this time.

> I use from a script on startup
>
> sync
> hdparm -S 255 -K1 -c3 -Xudma5 /dev/hda.

I already tried all most combinations. The only thing that helps is
-d0, if you can call that help.

> Note: IME, hdparm should not be used when there is substantial
> disk activity.

I've noticed. It usually causes the system too freeze for a minute or
so.

I'm a little frustrated at not being able copy large files without
considerable trouble.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxxxxxxxx