Re: Complete I/O starvation with 3ware raid on 2.6

From: Aaron Lehmann
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 05:18:46 EST

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 07:13:32PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> But the load average will be 11 because there are processes stuck in the
> kernel somewhere in D state. Have a look for them. They might be things
> like pdflush, kswapd, scsi_*, etc.

They're pdflush and kjournald. I don't have sysrq support compiled in
at the moment.

I've noticed the problem does not occur when the raid can absorb data
faster than the other drive can throw data at it. My naive mind is
pretty sure that this is just an issue of way too much being queued
for writing. If someone could tell me how to control this parameter,
I'd definately give it a try [tomorrow]. All I've found on my own is
#define TW_Q_LENGTH 256 in 3w-xxxx.h and am not sure if this is the
right thing to change or safe to change.