[OT] Re: Horiffic SPAM

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 03:14:19 EST

Richard B. Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:11:59PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

Well it seems that fire-walling the SPAM servers is *not* a good idea.
They are persistant, gang up, and will not give up until they are
able to deliver the mail! When I firewall them, my network traffic

According to standards they will give up after 5 days or so.

ends up being continuous SYN floods as every spam-server in the
country tries to connect. It doesn't do any good to set `ipchains` to
REJECT instead of DENY. They just keep on banging on the door.

Have you considered teergrubing them instead? That ought to
fix the bandwith problem. And it is not so fun for whoever has
the spam server either - either disrupting some spammers operation
or harassing some server admin into making his box un-abuseable.

Helge Hafting