Re: PS2 keyboard & mice mandatory again ?

From: Nicolas Mailhot
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 03:09:53 EST

Le jeu 25/09/2003 à 09:46, Vojtech Pavlik a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:32:54PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just had the unpleasant surprise to find out that in the latest
> > 2.6 snapshots
> >
> > CONFIG_SERIO=y
> > CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
> >
> > is forced on everyone. I know the modularization of 8042 has generated a
> > lot of bug reports, but couldn't people just fix the damn option name
> > and description instead of making it mandatory ?
> >
> > There are already a lot of people (me included) with a 100% usb input
> > setup. More are on the way (really a nice hub on the desk instead of
> > crawling under it to reach PS/2 ports is a no-brainer once you've tested
> > it). Please revert this change.
>
> If you enable CONFIG_EMBEDDED, you can switch it off.

Great, now a standard mass-market computer is an embedded device. I can
(and will) certainly do it, but this looks like a ticking bomb to me.
More than half the original problems where the option was labelled
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042 instead of something user-understandable like PS/2
input, and it's just been replaced by another mess that will make no
sense to the average user. There's even no notice in the input menu to
where this was moved :(

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I hope for you I'm the first and last to ask
you about this.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot