[BUG/MEMLEAK?] struct pci_bus, child busses & bridges

From: Matthew Dobson
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 19:40:20 EST

Whilst working on what was supposed to be a fairly trivial patch, I stumbled across what looks to be a relatively significant bug in the way pci bridges are handled. I could easily be wrong, as the pci code is far from anything I'd be willing to call an area of expertise. That said, my description of the problem follows:

I am trying to add a file to the pci bus (ie: /sysfs/devices/pciXXXX:XX) directories in sysfs. This led to the discovery that struct pci_bus (inlude/linux/pci.h) does not have an *actual* struct dev inside it, rather a pointer to a struct dev. I found this interesting, as most device-type-thingies have an honest to goodness struct dev, allowing the use of container_of(), etc. A quick perusal of the code offered no reason why struct pci_bus couldn't be changed to have the actual struct dev inside it, saving us kmalloc'ing and kfree'ing these, and generally keeping track of them. I was wrong.

In pci_alloc_child_bus (drivers/pci/probe.c), the child bus is allocated and it's struct dev * is set to point to the struct dev belonging to the bridge that this bus is 'on', or 'behind'. pci_alloc_child_bus is called in 3 places: pci_add_new_bus and twice in pci_scan_bridge. The calls in pci_scan_bridge allocate a new struct pci_bus, but then seem to throw the references away, *without* freeing them.

It appears that these pseudo-busses are allocated and used as a kind of hack, to allow devices to be parented to pci bridge devices. The pci_dev for the bridge is allocated and initialized, then a child bus is created, and it's *dev is pointed to the struct device belonging to the pci bridge. There are no refcounts used for this, and it doesn't appear to be cleaned up in any way. If anyone can offer any insight into this problem, or show me why I'm wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Matt