RE: HT not working by default since 2.4.22

From: Brown, Len
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 16:58:04 EST

Okay, so what to do?

We could make 2.4.23 like 2.4.21 where ACPI code for HT is included in
the kernel even when CONFIG_ACPI is not set.

Or we could leave 2.4.23 like 2.4.22 where disabling CONFIG_ACPI really
does remove all ACPI code in the kernel; and when CONFIG_ACPI is set,
CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is available to limit ACPI to just the tables part
needed for HT.

I'd prefer the later (doing nothing) because CONFIG_ACPI really should
exclude all of ACPI. If we start including bits of ACPI without
CONFIG_ACPI, where do we stop?

I'm not sure how to address "compatibility" and "regression" concepts in
the face of changing config files. Make oldconfig will ask you about
CONFIG_ACPI -- perhaps I should update the help text to emphasize that
it is necessary for HT, and that if selected, CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is
then available?

Is defconfig used? Does it define "compatibility"? If so, we could
define CONFIG_ACPI && CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY in defconfig to get the 2.4.21
behavior -- then could have our cake and eat it too.

I don't feel strongly about which way to go, but I will want to keep 2.4
and 2.6 as similar as possible in this area.

Thanks,
-Len