Minimizing the Kernel

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 11:34:36 EST

I want to created the smallest, fastest kernel that supports all the necessary features of a given system.

Obviously, the answer is very system dependent, requiring a keen knowledge of the relationships between hardware and Linux components.

Unless I'm missing something (always a possibility), the kernel configurations do not provide a clear idea of component size. In other words, if I include "burfulgunk port support" in my kernel build, I'd like to have a rough idea of the component's size. I might not need to support the "burfulgunk", especially if it's a large component (for, say, a legacy port.)

I'm well aware that code sizes differ between platforms; I'm looking for general information, as a guideline to generating a small kernel.

--
Scott Robert Ladd