Re: RH-9 boot hangs from floppy bootdisk

From: Shash Chatterjee
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 20:06:59 EST

Alan,

Thanks for the suggestion, certainly works far better than before. Disabling DMA on IDE does allow me to boot right up. I was able to use up2date and install the 2.4.20-20.9 kernel. I then made a new bootdisk using mkbootdisk. Booting using the new kernel from floppy got a bit further, it actually loaded the kernel fro /dev/hdb2. But hung after it got to "Enabling Swap ..". Any more ideas?

I am now about to copy the boot sector using dd and using Win-XP's loader to load it to see if it helps.

Should I be using an even newer kernel? Which one is known to work with RH-9 (I haven't kept up with building kernels and libc compatibilities in a long time, not since Slackware '97 days :-)?

Shash