Re: NS83820 2.6.0-test5 driver seems unstable on IA64

From: David S. Miller
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 13:59:06 EST

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:29:25 -0400
Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:21:35AM -0700, Luck, Tony wrote:
> > Looking at a couple of ia64 build servers here I see zero unaligned
> > access messages in the logs.
>
> ip options can still be an odd number of bytes. Having itanic spew bogus
> log messages is just plain wrong (yet another hardware issue pushed off on
> software for no significant gain).

Also, some TCP implementations sometimes don't align the timestamp
options in the headers as well.

Also, as I mentioned, try IP over appletalk.

Unaligned accesses are perfectly normal, _especially_ in the kernel.
This is an axiom of the kernel networking decided a long time ago, and
printing out a silly message when it happens doesn't make that any
less true.