Re: NS83820 2.6.0-test5 driver seems unstable on IA64

From: David Mosberger
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 13:29:16 EST

>>>>> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:57:12 -0700, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

DaveM> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:58:59 -0500
DaveM> "Van Maren, Kevin" <kevin.vanmaren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Rate-limited unaligned loads in user space make a lot more sense, since
>> they _may_ point out issues in the code.

DaveM> That's what generates the bulk of the noise in people's ia64
DaveM> dmesg output.

At the moment, there are two ways to control the unaligned message printing:

- use the dmesg command to lower the printing threshold below KERN_WARNING
("dmesg -n4", IIRC)

- use prctl --unalign=silent to turn off unaligned printing for a
particular task and its children

If these mechanisms are not sufficient, there is nothing to stop
anyone from cooking up a patch. For my puposes, what's there works
nicely so I myself have no plans to make changes in this area.

--david