Re: Make modules_install doesn't create /lib/modules/$version

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 07:06:33 EST

Rob Landley writes:
> > depmod does not create any directories, 'make modules_install' does.
>
> Although make install dies on a red hat 9 system trying to look at the modules
> directory if modules_install isn't done first. Maybe it's an RH 9 bug. I

RH9's /sbin/installkernel tries to run /sbin/new-kernel-pkg in order to
build a new initrd. This will almost certainly fail if your modules
directory isn't already populated at this point.

make modules_install; make install
in that order solves the problem.

If you don't like RH's installkernel then you can always write
your own and put it in ~/bin. That's what I did a long time ago
to make it lilo-friendly. (RH prefers that POS grub.)

> install" now, yet make install doesn't install modules. Is there a reason
> make install does NOT install modules for a modular kernel?

It hasn't before. I doubt very many people have a major problem with it.