Re: 2.6.0-testX - strange scheduling(?) problem

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 23:31:07 EST

Murray J. Root wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 03:22:41PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

Murray J. Root wrote:

P4 2G
1G PC2700 RAM
GF2 GTS video (nv drivers, not nvidia)

In all 2.6.0-test versions (1-5) I get very odd issues when using cpu+memory
intense apps. Using POV-Ray 3.5, for example:
When I render an image I get about 15k pixels per second and the system is
usable and responsive in other apps, most of the time.
About 20% of the time the pixels-per-second is only 3k, the system is at
nearly a standstill, and other apps barely function.
I've tested it many times using the exact same image and the behavior is
very consistent. Other apps do the same, but since I can't get a consistent
starting state with them, I used POV-Ray for the testing.
The slowdown is so bad that the screen can take as long as 2 seconds to refresh, opening a term can take as much as 15 seconds.
Stopping the render and restarting it fixes it about 1/2 the time. Stopping
the render and switching to another app, then restarting the render fixes
it about 1/2 the time. Enough stop & restarts always fixes it eventually.
There doesn't appear to be any memory leakage, and the system isn't going
into swap. Top shows the same numbers in all cases. Time of day, other apps running, etc. makes no difference.

Hi Murray,
Thanks for reporting this. Its a very important issue. Would you please
try this patch:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test5/patch-test5-O20int
on 2.6.0-test5, and report your results.

If you get time, or if the above still has problems, you could try
http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v15/sched-rollup-v15.gz
as well. Give priority to the first patch though, please.

Using the first patch either fixed it or made it so rare I haven't seen it
in 4 hours of testing.
One side-effect - rendering seems to take about 20% longer, and top shows
X using 20-25% cpu while rendering. Prior to 2.6.0-test[1-5] X never got
up past 5% and generally hung around less than 1%.
But user-feel is *much* better. No delays or "hangs" while typing or clicking
even while running two renders at the same time.

CCing to the list. Sounds good. The longer rendering seems to be pretty
well in line with the CPU X is using. This is obviously fine and
desired. Thanks Murray, and good news, this patch will be included in
test6 as far as I can see.