Re: lockups with 2.4.2x

From: Christian
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 16:49:55 EST

Christian wrote:
hm, yes, i could disable the ServeRaid module. gotta find out how to disable the builtin IDE / Symbios other than recompile the kernel...
[...]

i took your advice and booted with "nosmp" and "noacpi" into
single-user. then i enabled all modules i used to load. i tried to
produce some I/O with "updatedb" and "find /" and so on, everything
looked fine.

the most time consuming part was starting some apps out of my
init-scripts, see if the survive some minutes while using the system.

i finally narrowed it down to a few applications left, but further
testing is required. (due to my lack of time, i'll go on tomorrow)

You may also have a defect in your RAM.

i did not try removing RAM or booting a 2.4.22 with no "HIGHMEM set".

oh, an can it be, that when i boot with "nosmp noapic", the use of APIC
is forced and APIC is initialized upon booting? i don't have the exact
dmesg output right now, but i remembered sth. like this.

Thank you,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #417:

Computer room being moved. Our systems are down for the weekend.