Re: Process in D state (was Re: 2.6.0-test5-mm2)

From: Rob Landley
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 13:34:48 EST

On Saturday 20 September 2003 17:49, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > But, twice in a row now I've made this happen:
> >
> > 1391 pts/1 S 0:00 /bin/bash
> > 1419 pts/1 S 0:00 /bin/sh ./build.sh
> > 1423 pts/1 S 0:00 /bin/bash
> > /home/landley/pending/newfirmware/make-stat
> > 1447 pts/1 D 0:04 tar xvjf
> > /home/landley/pending/newfirmware/base/linux
> > 1448 pts/1 S 0:37 bzip2 -d
> >
> > All I have to do is run my script, it tries to extract the kernel
> > tarball, and tar hangs in D state.
> >
> > How do I debug this? (Is there some way to get the output of Ctrl-ScrLk
> > to go to the log instead of just the console? My system isn't currently
> > hung, it's just got a process that is. This process being hung prevents
> > my partitions from being unmounted on shutdown, which is annoying.)
>
> sysrq-T followed by `dmesg -s 1000000 > foo' should capture it.

I'll give it a try...

Okay, I reproduced the hang. Now... It's beeping at me?

It helps to have magic sysrq selected in menuconfig. I'll get back to this...

> > Other miscelanous bugs: cut and paste only works some of the time (it
> > pastes blanks other times, dunno if this was -test5 or -mm2; it worked
> > fine in -test4).
>
> vgacon? fbcon? X11?

X11. At first I thought it was only between certain apps, but now I thin it's
just plain intermittent. Smells like a race or uninitialized variable or
something. (For all I know, the bug could be in kde, although I'm using
RH9's binaries. I've seen it cutting and pasting between kmail, konsole, and
konqueror. Sorry, can't reproduce this one at will...

> > The key repeat problem is still there, although still highly
> > intermittent.
>
> I think Andries says that some keyboards just forget to send up codes.
> We'll probably need some kernel boot parameter to support these, using the
> keyboard's silly native autorepeat.

I'd rather not have any autorepeat at all than have it go intermittently nuts
on me...

> > The boot hung enabling swap space once. I don't know why. (Init was
> > already running and everything...)
>
> Probably the O_DIRECT locking bug: I had `rpmv' getting stuck on boot for a
> while. mm3 fixed that.

I'll upgrade after I get you your sysrq-t.

Rob