Re: 2.4.2[12] v VIA Rhine and VIA82x audio (working with a fight)

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 14:06:09 EST

* Alan Cox (alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I've done some work on this for -ac. I thought 2.4.22 had enough stuff
> to deal with it (at least for the non ACPI case). VIA v-bus cares that
> both PCI_INTERRUPT_PIN and PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE are both set.

Well I do wonder whether it is just a very buggy BIOS etc not being helpful.

> > 2) Audio
> >
> > This was much more of a fight. The standard 2.4.21/22 via82xxx drivers
> > were very problematic. For example random hanging apps, buzzing when
> > an app had sound open but wasn't actually sending stuff, and a complete
> > failure to have any sound input.
>
> Do you have VIA 8233 or 8235 hardware ?

It isn't entirely obvious from the PCI dumps; I think its the 8235 from the
first entry for the device:

Bus 0, device 17, function 0:
ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge (rev 0).
Bus 0, device 17, function 1:
IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 6).
Master Capable. Latency=32.
I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc0f].
Bus 0, device 17, function 5:
Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 80).
IRQ 5.
I/O at 0xe000 [0xe0ff].

ALSA seems to think its an 8235.

> > Except for playing CDs - which don't do anything - I suspect that might
> > be hardware, but am not sure.
>
> Check there is an analog cable fitted on the CD->Sound. Many new WinXP
> boxes are shipped with XP configured to digitally rip the CD data and no
> audio link cable. If so you need to pick a different CD player app or
> fit the cable.

Nod - I've heard it play a few times; so I'm wondering about a loose cable; although
my normal solution of these problems (buy a Soundblaster) has failed when I got the
machine home to find it had a sticker over the back of the case saying if I opened
it I'd break the warranty.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /