Re: Fix for wrong OOM killer trigger?

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 22:37:14 EST

Hi Larry,

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 01:52:20PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> won't come back until you have stopped being rude. You do understand

If I would remotely think my signature is rude with you, or anybody
else, I wouldn't post it anymore, especially after you point me to it.

Some people in the past and probably even today thought they would
never depend on open source for critical things, a number of people
like me thinks just the opposite.

I don't see why you find this fact as rude. Do you think it's rude that
some people refuses to depend on closed software for critical tasks?
So then why do you think the source code of some closed software is
being offered to governaments for the first time after 20 years? Is it
rude that some governament prefers to have the source too and they as
well apparently see a value in not depending on closed software? I mean
you really can't just complain at me saying I'm rude, like if I was the
only one on earth sharing this view.

And clearly if somebody is interested in my links is because he's
sharing my view, otherwise he could just use bitkeeper that despite
being born after cvs, is much more feature rich (that's the reason of
the comment!).

I will never say that you're rude because your claims against open
source you posted several times in linux-kernel (you know the parasite that
eat the host, and lots and lots of stuff like that, all things that I
absolutely and totally disagree with), I will never say the bitkeeper
"free" licence is rude or whatever like that despite I find it much less
acceptable than all other proprietary licence I dealt with in my limited
experience with proprietary software, but people is different, it's not
about being rude, it's about thinking differently, and I will never buy
from you that thinking different is the same as being rude.

Andrea - If you refuse to depend on closed software for a critical
part of your business, these links may be useful:
rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/
svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.[46]/trunk