PROBLEM: Cannot mount cd-rom. (not trivial!)

From: Piotr Biernat
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 12:59:21 EST

Sorry to disturb you folks, but i have a bug report (maybe i'm wrong and
it's not a bug, but it appears to me as one...).
Below is bug report formatted as advised in REPORTING-BUGS from kernel
source. ;)

1. Cannot mount cd-rom(!!), annoying messages during computer operation.
2. When recompiled latest kernel version, my cd-rom stopped working.
The problem got noticed when i tried to mount cd-rom in my cd-rom drive
(slave) and only cd-recorder (master) worked.
3. Kernel, SCSI emulation, ide-scsi, spinlock, time.c, bug, cd-rom drives.
4. Appears in 2.4.19, 2.4.20, 2.4.21, 2.4.22. (tested!)
5. attached kern-log.txt
6. mount /mnt/cdrom (works everytime!)
7. attached env.txt
7.1. attached ver_linux.txt
7.2. attached cpuinfo.txt
7.3. attached modules.txt
7.4. attached ioports.txt, iomem.txt
7.5. attached lspci.txt
7.6. attached scsi.txt
7.7. attached dev.txt, tarball with same info from another computer, hardware
config for hal.
7.8. "i8253 count too high! resetting.." tends to appear when running startup
sequence in /etc/init.d, and then happens every few minutes. I found this error
message only in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/time.c
"ide-scsi: <blah blah....>" appears only when trying to mount cdrom in
drive with "Unable to identify CD-ROM format."
"Unable to identify CD-ROM format." appears on second computer too, but
without "i8253..." and "ide-scsi" errors. Second computer has only
one cd-rom drive, configured as secondary slave.
I don't know if the errors are related to each other or not. Does not
appear when using 2.4.18 or 2.4.17. I also tested and repeated this
behaviour on another computer (without ide-scsi!). (config and description
for both is included in tarball!).
I use standard Debian 3.0 release 0.

Greetings
Piotr Biernat