Re: Omnibook PCMCIA slots unusable after suspend.

From: Jon Fairbairn
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 18:07:59 EST

On 2003-09-16 at 23:56BST Russell King wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:13:54PM +0200, Martin Diehl wrote:
> > Of course I personally have no objections wrt. including it in the
> > official tree. Russel, what do you think - do you want to apply it? Or
> > shall I send it to Greg directly?
>
> I think it would be a good idea to forward it to Greg

That might please me :-)

> > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
> > > I think I got that too, at least, reinserting the card caused
> > > a lockup. With the patch applied I can eject and reinsert,
> > > which is fortunate because there seems to be another problem
> > > where the card switches off when I switch VCs, but it's hard
> > > to reproduce. (and inconvenient because /usr is on nfs on
> > > this machine)
> >
> > No idea - sounds strange to me. No such problem here with any of
> > serial_cs, pcnet_cs or orinoco_cs with my ob800 (neither 2.4 nor 2.6).

I've experimented a bit more. With 2.4.22 the problem occurs
predictably if I initiate a suspend while displaying an X
console. The system resumes OK, but when I next change to a
text VC, the light goes out on the network card (and I get
swamped with log messages about nfs server not responding),
but I can clear it up by physically ejecting and reinserting
the network card. After that it's back to normal. I can't
see any clues in the logs -- as far as I can see the nfs
errors start without being preceded by any other error, and
inserting the card just brings it back up as if nothing had
been wrong.

> The following patch may help to track down this problem.
> Assuming Jon has sysfs mounted on /sys, there should be a
> bunch of files in /sys/class/pcmcia_socket/*/* - if Jon
> could get those to me after its gone wrong, it may be
> helpful.

I applied Martin's patch to 2.6.0-test5, and that seems to
solve the original problem. I also applied your patch, but
haven't had any luck getting the stuff from /sys. With
2.6.0-test5 patched like this (I didn't try it without your
patch, I'm afraid), if I initiate suspend from a text VC all
is fine, but if I initiate it from X, the machine suspends,
but when turned back on it just locks up with a blank
display. No apparent response to anything I do to the
keyboard, including magic sysrq :-(. Not mounting sysfs
doesn't change the behaviour AFAICT.

It's not exactly a show-stopper as bracketing the apm
sequence with appropriate calls to chvt avoids it.

I haven't tried your patch with 2.4 as it doesn't have
sysfs -- or is there some way of retrofitting it?

Cheers,

Jón

--
Jón Fairbairn Jon.Fairbairn@xxxxxxxxxxxx