2.4.24-pre4 - nice VM

From: Michael Frank
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 08:36:08 EST

Built with gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

Use it since Monday on a 600Mhz TM5600 with 256MB RAM
using S3 Savage, X4.3, KDE 3.1x

The -aa VM is a realy big improvement in terms of resonsiveness.

My gut tells it is about as responsive as 2.6 and that is
slightly faster than 2.6 on average.

The only rough adges I saw:

- Once a day one or two desktop icons don't get repainted

- Once a day the odd app may have closed (not crashed) without me asking it

- Had one hang hang of kppp after being returned to forgroun,d which was
cured by killing and restarting it. kppp has never hanged with other 2.4,
2.5 or 2.6 kernels

Any stress tests, hints on what to look for are welcome

Regards
Michael