Re: socketI implementation

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 07:51:09 EST

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, sting sting wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had downloaded the tar.gz of glibc;
> I am interested in the learning the network layer and
> implementation of the socket API in glibc
> (calls like socket,bind,gethostbyname,etc.).
> I saw in the inet subdirectory on glibc that it seems that these calls
> are eventually result in calls to methods in nss subdirectory.
>
> But I am not sure.
> Am I right in my assumption?
> or where I can find the implementation of methods like bind(), connect(),
> socket(), etc.
>
> regards
> sting

Wrong list. However, the interface to the network through the
kernel is __NR_socketcall (function 102).
You need to learn how to use `find`, `grep` and other Unix
tools to search large directory trees like glibc.
For instance, in glibc-2.3.1, a lot of utility functions
are in glibc-2.3.1/inet and a lot of socket interface code
is in glibc-2.3.1/unix/sysv/linux/i386/socket.S

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (794.73 BogoMips).