Re: RFC: [2.6 patch] better i386 CPU selection

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 08:01:50 EST

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 02:42:51PM +0200, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:28:13PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > The patch below tries to implement a better i386 CPU selection.
>
> Did you look at how rmk does CPU selection in the ARM tree? He has
> developed a very sophisticated scheme as there are lots of completely
> different cpu implementations, using a few cores. It might be an idea to
> make the schemes more uniform than they are now.

I didn't look at the ARM Makefile. Thanks for the note, I'll have a look
at it before I'll do the revision of this patch.

> > Changes:
> [...]
> > - AMD Elan is a different subarch, you can't configure a kernel that
> > runs on both the AMD Elan and other i386 CPUs
>
> Ack. Same with for example Geode. And the subarchs might have different

It seems the Geode support isn't fully merged in 2.6?

> implementations, like Elan SC400, Elan SC410, Elan SC520.

It should be no problem to add a "Processor support" menu for the Elan
that allows you to specify which Elan CPUs you plan to support.

> > - @Robert:
> > there were no Elan CFLAGS in arch/i386/Makefile???
>
> That seems to have evolved since I last touched the Elan stuff. The
> Elans are more or less 486 cores with some edges, so adding -march=i486
> should be ok.

Thanks, I'll do this.

> Robert

Thanks for your comments