Re: moving a window makes the system 'hang' until button is released

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 01:06:32 EST

Greg Wooledge wrote:

[1.] One line summary of the problem: Dragging a window in X makes the system "hang" until button is released.

[2.] Full description of the problem/report:
"Hang" means xmms's sound output stops, and if I'm running something
like "while :; do echo hi; sleep 1; done" in a different window, that
also stops writing "hi" until I release the mouse button. (Then I
get a whole bunch of them all at once.) This seems to rule out ALSA
being the cause, which was originally my first thought.

I've tried with and without CONFIG_PREEMPT enabled. I've tried changing
X to be un-niced. I've tried applying the patch-test4-O20int patch from
Con Kolivas. That last patch seems to have increased the time it takes
for the problem to kick in (it's on the order of 5 seconds now instead
of 3 seconds), but it didn't fix it.

Hi Greg,
Can you give my scheduler a try if you have time?