bug/request: multi-processing for CD devices

From: Max O'Shea
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 13:48:06 EST

Hello,

I don't know if this would be considered a 'bug', maybe more of a feature
request?

'multi-processing' - ie. so that you can play an audio CD and browse the
audio CD using a program such as konqueror at the same time)

Full description: At the moment, if you are playing an audio CD with one
program and you start accessing the audio CD with another program, the music
will stop playing.

Here's a little bit of system information if it helps:

Kernel Version: Linux version 2.4.21-0.13mdkcustom (root@tuxmachine) (gcc
version 3.2.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.1 3.2.2-3mdk)) #1 Sat Jul 5 12:27:17 BST 2003

- --------------------------------------
Processor information: processor
: 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 6
model name : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 498.495
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 992.87

- --------------------------------------
Module information:

ppp_deflate 4536 0 (autoclean)
zlib_inflate 21348 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
zlib_deflate 21624 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
bsd_comp 5336 0 (autoclean)
binfmt_misc 7404 1
ide-cd 35776 1 (autoclean)
parport_pc 27208 1 (autoclean)
lp 8480 0 (autoclean)
parport 36960 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
i810 65440 23
agpgart 43680 7 (autoclean)
es1371 30472 0
soundcore 6628 0 [es1371]
ac97_codec 13576 0 [es1371]
gameport 3412 0 [es1371]
ppp_async 9408 1
ppp_generic 24636 3 [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
slhc 6628 0 [ppp_generic]
af_packet 15528 0 (autoclean)
floppy 57148 0
eepro100 22836 1 (autoclean)
mii 3992 0 (autoclean) [eepro100]
nls_iso8859-15 4092 1 (autoclean)
nls_cp850 4316 1 (autoclean)
vfat 12780 1 (autoclean)
fat 39224 0 (autoclean) [vfat]
supermount 16480 3 (autoclean)
sr_mod 17976 0
cdrom 33920 0 [ide-cd sr_mod]
scsimon 9824 0 (unused)
usb-storage 78648 0
scsi_mod 106548 3 [sr_mod scsimon usb-storage]
usb-uhci 26220 0 (unused)
usbcore 77760 1 [usb-storage usb-uhci]
rtc 8412 0 (autoclean)
ext3 59916 2
jbd 38972 2 [ext3]

- --------------------------------------
Output of /proc/devices :

Character devices:
1 mem
2 pty/m%d
3 pty/s%d
4 tts/%d
5 cua/%d
6 lp
7 vcs
10 misc
14 sound
29 fb
108 ppp
128 ptm
136 pts/%d
162 raw
180 usb
226 drm

Block devices:
1 ramdisk
2 fd
3 ide0
9 md
11 sr
22 ide1

- --------------------------------------

Output of /proc/mounts :

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev devfs rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/hda7 /home ext3 rw 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom supermount ro 0 0
none /mnt/cdrw supermount ro 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount rw,sync 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat rw 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

I am not subscribed to the linux-kernel list (well, I was, but after I had to
delete 100000 messages and my email account was ready to be closed, I had to
unsubscribe) so if you could possibly cc: me if you can be bothered to or if
you really need to.

Many thanks :-)

- --Max.